Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Mold.

Last night as I was giving the bunnies some oats, I happened to look up at the inside tarps that are rolled up and noticed they were covered in mold. Rabbits are extremely sensitive to mold and we all know mold is just plain bad for anybody.

I left a note for my brother to take the inside tarps down as soon as he could in the morning. He got them all out thankfully! As I was looking at them closer after he took them down, they are covered in black mold and that bluish/gray looking mold. There's little spots of mold everywhere. I'm glad I noticed it now.

The barn has SO much ventilation, but the humidity is SO high out here, especially right now, that everything molds incredibly easily. If rabbit pellets drop on the ground, within just a few days they'll be all swollen from moisture and within a few more days they'll be moldy. We have to keep a very close eye on that out here. But, I didn't think the waxed, waterproof canvas tarps would get *that* moldy!

We could take Lysol to the tarps, but there is so much mold on them, I don't want to risk the bunnies health. Besides I would have to keep a super close eye on them and probably have to spray them with Lysol every month or more. I've heard a rabbit sneeze here and there in the barn, but nothing major. So, I think the mold may have been what was bugging them.

So, we'll have to figure something else out for the inside tarps before winter hits (got about a month to month and a half before the cold really comes). Or, just get a heater of some sort to keep the barn warmer. I may put double bubble insulation as the inside tarps, as I don't think that molds and we have a lot of it. We'll see . . .

Qadoshyah

2 comments:

Sunny Brook Rabbitry said...

New design looks great!! Love the soft purple color scheme. The only thing I found is it loaded fairly slow, we have extreme high speed too, but must be all those graphics!

Qadoshyah said...

Thanks :)! I'll have to see if I can figure out why it loads slow . . .